Sunday, August 16, 2009

A Very Stupid Thing to Do

Apparently my brain wasn't functioning properly this week. The kids and I were in the backyard attempting to burn a pile of brush. The fire wasn't cooperating, so I very wisely suggested that Dustin get me a little bit of gasoline to help encourage the flames to spread. Not quite sure why this didn't strike me as a dangerous course of action, but I honestly didn't even pause to consider the potential hazards. I casually tossed a little gas into the fire, and the next thing I knew, my arm was on fire, too. I can only guess that the flame followed the source and the fumes back to the small can in my hand and that I subsequently splashed the remaining gas onto my arm. Once I realized I was on fire, I tossed the can and proceeded to "stop, drop, and roll." Meanwhile, the tossed can (and accompanying flames) landed beside Dustin and caught his leg on fire. Apparently he didn't remember the stop, drop, and roll routine and ran instead. Now that things have calmed down significantly, we are both just thankful that our clothing didn't catch on fire. I can't begin to explain the pain, the regret, or the stupidity I have felt over the past several days. Some lessons are learned the hard way. This is one I really should have figured out without experiencing it, though.

Here are the pictures my family has been begging for. We didn't think to get any pictures before we went to the ER - go figure. These were taken the next day. My arm and Dustin's leg...
On day 3...
This is us today (day 4) - still in a good amount of pain. We're hoping that we will heal quickly without infection or permanent scarring. It's definitely not fun.

14 comments:

Emily said...

Wow - crazy to see the reality. I've had a hard time actually visualizing the injuries. Sadly, when I heard what happened, I couldn't help but think over and over, "I would have done the same thing." But not now - I guess I should thank you for teaching me such a memorable lesson?

Crystal said...

Wow...on one hand it's worse than I was envisioning and on the other hand better. The impression that I had (until I talked on the phone with you this morning) was that your whole arm was burned and Dustin's leg got a little bit. Your arm is better than I was picturing, but Dustin's leg is way worse. Hope y'all heal quick.

Melanie said...

Ouch! that is so sad! I can't believe you did that! I too am glad I learned not to ever repeat the same mistake! I hope it heals fast for you! I love all the other pics you have posted...it looks like you guys are enjoying your new home! We really miss you!! Have you made a trip to the temple since you moved? I want to come visit you and go to the beach! Tell all the kids Hi for us!

Tracy said...

Oh my goodness, my jaw is on the floor right now! I am so glad it wasn't worse! Also glad to know that "stop, drop & roll" really works! Don't beat yourself up too badly, we all do things we should have thought better of...yours' just happened to include fire! Holy cow. Hope you two heal quickly!!

Sarie said...

OH MY GOSH!!!!! I am so glad you guys are okay. That is crazy. Latisha, I would expect more out of you! ha ha just kidding.

Kimberly said...

Ow ow ow ow ow! Oh, that hurts just to look at it! I'm so glad you are both on the mend. I hope you heal up quickly, and that the pain will subside very soon.

Don't be too hard on yourself. Accidents happen. I am sure you feel worse about Dustin than yourself, but I can guarantee he still loves you and thinks you are the best mom ever. And you are. :-)

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

ohlatisha
sooosorryaccidenthappensogladyooreokluckycatchdidntcatchonfire
lovejessie

Jessiesmylieyahoo,com said...

ohlatisha
sooosorryaccidenthappensogladyooreokluckycatchdidntcatchonfire
lovejessie

Jennifer said...

Wow and OUCH!! It just hurts looking at the pictures. I hope you both heal quickly.

Erin said...

Ooooo so painful looking! I wish I could say I've never done anything I should have known better then not to do, but I can't so I feel for you and your regret. Good luck in your's and Dustin's healing. Darn, that means resting..just to bad isn't it?

Dane, Holly, Devin, and Jarom said...

that really looks like it hurts. I am sorry that had to happen. Hope ya'll get better soon.

Debra said...

OUCH!! !Just looking at the pictures made me cringe.

Hey, we all have accidents so dont beat yourself up. I bet none of the kids will do it... so lesson learned!

hey are you guys coming to Orlando soon? LMK! You are more than welcomed to stay here!

Mindy said...

Yikes! I heard the story from your mom and dad...glad you both are doing okay...hope you both are still healing well and no infection! Those are some scary looking burns!

Kristi said...

Ho-ly Ca-Rap!!!! That is So scary!! I am so glad that you guys are ok, and healing. What a freaky thing to have happen.