Friday, September 5, 2008

Growing faster than I planned

When we first got Houdini, we knew he would get bigger - in the far distant future, of course. Nothing to fret about too much at the moment. You know, "cross that bridge when we get there." Well, he seems to be growing pretty fast, and this is a little alarming to me. Mostly because I'm not too excited about feeding him anything bigger than mice. I need to be getting used to that idea, or getting the kids used to the idea of not having a snake!!
We had a hard time getting him to hold still to be measured, but he's about 27" long now.

Here he is waiting in the tub while Kaylee and Roger clean out his cage.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

you are much braver than I. I just couldn't do the snake thing. nope. not ever. i get the willies just looking at him :)

The Katy Daileys said...

I can't believe you guys have a snake! We get water moccasins and they freak me out enough to never get a snake! But, I know your boys love it and it does give them a good appreciation for reptiles and helps them not be afraid of them. You are a great mom for doing it!

Jennifer said...

I couldn't do it either! I don't like snakes. I had a "stuck in a box with a snake" incident as a child and just don't like them. Your children seem to love him though. :)

Anonymous said...

Yannick's first pet was a reptile also named Houdini. It was an iguana!

SD Pal

Kristi said...

This TOTALLY creeps me out! There is just no way that I could have a pet, let alone a snake. ewwwww! It makes me shiver just thinkin about it.

Kimberly said...

My college roommate had a python, and it escaped one night. I found it in our tub, freezing cold, so I wrapped him around my waist and carried him around like that till he warmed up.

I think she donated him to a school or something when he got too big.